Monday, April 2, 2012

Reunion In Derbyshire

Upon arriving at Pemberly this morning, and after a quite exhausting and early journey from Ramsgate, I must add, Mr. Darcy expressed to the party, and especially to Miss. Darcy, his desire that we should all visit Miss. Elizabeth Bennet and her relatives, who had happened to be staying in Derbyshire by coincidence. Despite some weariness from the journey, I was eager to see the friend of mine who is so closely knit with Jane, and I, along with the whole of our group, immediately agreed to make the call the very afternoon of our arrival. We met Elizabeth, and Mr. and Mrs. Gardener, an uncle and aunt of hers, at the quaint inn not far from Pemberly, in which they were staying. The Gardeners seemed to be such kind and friendly people; I could not help but strike up a lengthy conversation with Mr. Gardner, who was quite a respectable man indeed. However, I must admit that my introduction to the Gardeners was not nearly as invigorating as my reunion with Elizabeth. It is truly striking how closely she resembles her sister, and my conversation with her led me to the involuntary remissnessance of such great memories at Netherfield. I longed to ask her more than I did about her family and Hertfordshire, yet I found such questions inappropriate in context, and so restrained myself from doing so. I do long to visit Netherfield once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment